Friday, October 22, 2010

Week 2: spinach is winning!




A little soggy
We're on week two of the earthen greenhouse with global buckets study.
Saginaw had some windy and rainy days last week so we were excited to see how our little greenhouse would do, and it held up pretty nicely for the most part. Like we had expected, there was a pool of water on the plastic sheeting. However, inside the greenhouse it wasn't much more damp than it had been before the storms, so that's a good sign. But as I was pushing the water off the sheeting from the inside, some of it spilled into the greenhouse, which was a bad move on my part. I will be more careful next time. I cleaned upas much of the spill as I could and that helped a lot.
Spinach
As of now, it appears that the spinach is beating the basil in a growing race. Almost all of the Spinach plants have sprouts and Basil isn't too far behind. The Spinach buckets have grown considerably since last week. The Basil buckets aren't growing as quickly.

Basil




The greenhouse is staying warm despite the freezing temperatures the area has recently faced. We're in the market for a digital USB thermometer so we can track the temperatures in the greenhouse throughout the weeks.



This week, on average the Spinach buckets took about 2.5 Solo cups of water as the Basil took about 2 Solo cups.

I had the opportunity to talk to a couple of greenhouse visitors about our earthen greenhouse and the global buckets. Spreadin' the word.

I now have designated "mud clothes" that I wear every time I go to the greenhouse. It's a muddy time but I look forward to it.

Buckets through the plastic

No comments:

Post a Comment