Monday, October 4, 2010

The buckets are ready for a home!

The Global Buckets are ready for their new home in the earthen greenhouse which should be complete this Wednesday after the volunteer day.

I went to the greenhouse yesterday (Sunday) for a few hours and assembled 14 of the 20 Global or "Dirt" buckets. It was a beautiful day to do so, cold but sunny, which beats just cold. The process took a little less than 3 hours, which wasn't too bad at all.

I had to make new wicking cups, soak the soil, scoop the soil into the buckets, and place a garbage bag cover on the buckets. I was going to use duct tape to secure the bags in place but remembered I had aquired some zip-ties. I didn't finish the buckets because I wanted an excuse to go to the greenhouse and get my hands dirty today. So, today I will finish assembling the 6 buckets and I will also bring my zipties to secure the garbage bag covers.

I will plant the buckets with spinach and basil by the end of the week and place them in the greenhouse! They will grow for 6 weeks.
Reminder: Dirtbag Brigade Volunteer day is THIS Wednesday the 6th from 4p-7p at the SVSU Greenhouse! We Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment